Saturday, October 9, 2010

moving, settling in, and baseball

It's been about 2 weeks since I've last blogged, but I have some good reasons, what with school starting and moving. Last weekend, Drew and I moved in together, and the move went pretty smoothly (we had some great friends helping us- shout out to you, W!). We woke up to rain on moving day, and that made us a little nervous, but the weather held up for the rest of the day. The unpacking is nearly all finished, and the place is starting to look like a home. Merging our stuff was quick and painless, mainly because we didn't double up on anything. Drew had the furniture, I had the kitchen stuff, for example.

Our new apartment is the same layout as Drew's former apartment, but it is more spacious than my former apartment. There is a lot of storage space, and my closet space has increased exponentially (sure, it helps that Drew takes up so little of it, but the closets are considerably larger than my old one).

Our only "disagreement" is over what to do with the Joe Mauer poster and the Derek Jeter poster. In case you didn't know, Drew is a Yankees fan (this is a flaw that I've been willing to overlook), and I am a Twins fan. It's a minor disagreement of course, but I really hate the Yankees. (On a sidenote, I once very briefly dated a guy from New York, and I asked him about his baseball team allegiance. He reassured me that he was a Mets fan, and so I decided that this was acceptable and that we could continue seeing each other. See? I take this stuff seriously.) So far, Drew and I have decided to put the posters on the sliding closet doors in the office, but I've been trying to figure out a way to get Mauer a better location in the apartment, prompting Drew to tell me that I'm the trickiest person he knows.

You may also know that the Twins and the Yankees are playing in the first round of the ALDS (American League Division Series). We didn't know that this was going to happen until after we moved in. One of our friends, while helping us move, pointed out that this would be a possibility. He joked that if this were the case, after the outcome, everyone might have to come back to help one of us move out.

This is the 2nd consecutive year that the Twins and the Yankees have played in the 1st round, and this time has been equally depressing. The Twins have home field advantage, but the Yankees have already won the first 2 games. The 3rd is tonight, and the Yankees could very well sweep the Twins. If this happens, this would be the 3rd time that the Twins have been swept in the first round in the past 5 years. This would be the 4th time since 2003 that the Twins have lost to the Yankees in the first round.

According to Wikipedia, the Twins-Yankees matchup is a recurring matchup in the ALDS. I'm not sure what qualifies as a recurring matchup, but I guess that October will always be an exciting (or tense) month in our household. And in case you're wondering, I'm not a Yankee Hater during all of baseball season. Very early on, Drew and I instituted a rule: I am not allowed to cheer against the Yankees (and he is not allowed to cheer against the Twins) unless they are playing the Twins (unless they are playing the Yankees). It's a fair rule and one that I've never tried to weasel my way out of.

1 comment:

Christina Rodriguez said...

Tuck Mauer in under the sheets on Drew's side of the bed. Then, when he turns down the covers to get into bed some night, he'll get a nice surprise.