Saturday, April 30, 2011

bibimbop

If you read this blog, you probably already know a great deal about my life. One thing that you probably know is that I was born in South Korea and that I was adopted when I was 9 months old. My parents are part Irish and part German. I don't know anything about Korean culture or Korean food. (I don't feel bad about this, so don't worry, Mom and Dad) I ate Korean food for the first time when I was 24, and I've eaten it only a couple times since. And I've never made it. Until last week.

There are student groups on campus that sell Korean BBQ. I've eaten it a couple times, but because Drew has been a vegetarian for the past 10 years, he hasn't (I've been veg for a little over a year now). He recently began expressing an interest in making vegetarian Korean BBQ with fake meat. And even though we're pretty good cooks and we're always trying out new recipes, we elected to use a jarred Korean barbeque sauce. The irony isn't lost on me, but in my defense, I am Korean in the way that Taco Bell is a Mexican restaurant. It's silly to expect me to know how to make Korean food. After all, my former Italian American roommate didn't know how to make lasagna, and my Mexican American friend doesn't know how to make tortillas.

I came across a recipe for bibimbop on a vegan foodie blog. I don't really know what bibimbop is, and this may not be authentic, but it sure tasted good. Check it out:
We sauteed spinach, mushrooms, and zucchini, pickled cucumber and carrots, and marinated the meat substitute in the Korean barbeque sauce. We topped it all off with a couple fried eggs (the vegan version used tofu instead of the egg).

Drew and I aren't about to become Korean food experts anytime soon, but I recently came across a recipe for kimchi, so we'll see.

No comments: