Monday, May 27, 2013

roasted strawberry and buttermilk ice cream

If there is one thing that should be made from scratch, it is ice cream. It is easy to make, and so, so worth it. While I've been to bakeries with cookies or cupcakes better than homemade, I can't think of any ice cream shop with better ice cream than the homemade stuff.   
Making ice cream is pretty effortless as the ice cream maker does most of the work. As such, having a good quality maker is key. I acquired my first ice cream maker a few years ago, but it was cheap and I struggled to make good ice cream. Last Christmas, Drew's parents gave us a Cuisinart, in yellow, and it makes excellent ice cream. 

Last weekend, I made a roasted strawberry and buttermilk ice cream. The recipe is from the Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream cookbook, which has lots of unique and interesting recipes. I love this cookbook- the pictures are pretty and the directions are easy to follow. And best of all and most importantly, the results are wonderful.  

No comments: