Sunday, October 7, 2007

Week 1 Recap

The first week of a new quarter isn't usually eventful, but this past week was quite busy. For starters, I decided to rearrange my schedule. I was enrolled in a grad stats class, but I decided that my stats skills were too rusty to feel comfortable in the class. Instead, I will be taking an independent study with KB so that I can work on my first qualifier. I plan to take the undergrad stats sequence starting this winter. I am confident that this arrangement will be much better than my original schedule. Since I have to work on a qualifer anyway, I may as well get course credit for doing so.

On Wednesday, I taught my first discussion section for my Supreme Court class. I am one of 2 TAs for this class, and we have almost 50 students. Normally I have 3 sections each week, but since this class is small, I have only one. It is an upper division writing class, so the students will have to write and rewrite 3 essays throughout the quarter. The students will turn in an essay, and then we will give them feedback. They will do a rewrite and then we will give a grade for the final product.

I am looking forward to TAing this class this quarter. My section was very successful, and the students were eager to participate and discuss the course material. Most of the students in my section are aspiring lawyers. Their ambition is evident in how they contribute to the discussion. Since this is an upper division class, most of the students are 3rd and 4th year students. One of them asked me if I actually liked teaching this class, and I immediately took that as an indication that these students have had their fair share of bad and unenthusiastic TAs. I reassured the class that I was genuinely interested in the Supreme Court (come on, I have a red betta fish named Justice O'Connor) and committed to their success in the course. I enjoy teaching, and I know that this will be obvious to them as the quarter progresses.

As grad students, we have two responsibilities: researching and TAing. When we go on the job market, we will either take the teaching route or the researching route. If we take the teaching route, we will most likely end up teaching at a liberal arts college or a state school. If we take the researching route, we will most likely end up at a research university where we will have to "publish or perish." In this case, research and publications will be crucial to our survival. There is such an emphasis placed on furthering our research, and a good number of TAs skirt their responsibilities. I have known of TAs that don't actually teach discussion sections and instead use them as glorified office hours. I have known of TAs who openly admit that they will do only the bare minimum so that they can focus on their own research. I have known of TAs who actively pursue TA assignments without discussion sections. Consequently, I was not surprised when one of my students "tested" me to see how dedicated I would be to the class. It is too soon for me to know whether or not I will follow the teaching route or the researching route, so I am going to keep my options open.

During the latter part of the week, I attended a CSD reception and a department reception. I feel much more comfortable at these receptions now than a year ago since I know the professors and grad students. Conversations don't revolve around research interests and current projects, which get a little dry after a while. Inquiring about someone's research interests is an easy icebreaker, but it is intimidating because first years don't have works in progress. Ironically, now that I have works in progress, research interests are not the topic of conversation. This suits me just fine, as I enjoy talking to people about issues that are beyond our personal research.

No comments: