Saturday, September 29, 2007

The 2nd Year

We began classes last week, and I am officially a 2nd year grad student now. I turned in my keys for the 1st year office in exchange for the keys to 655, an office that will be mine until I finish school. I share my new office with 3 fifth year grad students, some mentors who have become my friends. I will miss being in the 1st year "bullpen," but I am already at home in my new office.

Last night we had our first department event of the year. I am the social coordinator, and I planned a luau themed party. It was a team effort: Heidi and I bought the food; she, Katie, and I set up; Ryan was in charge of the grill. We had so much food that we are had encore barbeque the next night. The turnout was great, and everyone had a lot of fun. Below is a photo of the attendees from my cohort:
(Ryan, Katie, John, Karl, Heidi, me, Greg, and Bryan)

We are no longer the rookies anymore, and it feels a bit strange. There are 14 students in the new cohort, and it is incumbent upon us to help them feel comfortable and navigate the first year.

No comments: