Monday, November 5, 2007

A Perpetual Fall

It is that time of the year again, the time when my internal weather compass expects falling temperatures, chilly, brisk winds, and the promise of snow. If I were in Minnesota, I would be bracing myself for the first snow and pulling my red winter peacoat out of the closet. I would be getting my mittens, hats, and scarves in order so they would be easily accessible when I needed them. (Actually, I probably would have done this last month.) Instead, I am in California where the daytime temperatures have been consistently in the 70s and where my peacoat will see the light of day only when I go home to Minnesota for Christmas. The weather is so reliably beautiful that I don't bother with a fall jacket or even a sweatshirt, save for at night when the sun goes down.

Now, before you quit reading and disown me from the family, hear me out. Because I have grown up in Minnesota, I have become accustomed to the bitter cold and snow. I didn't move to California to escape the harsh Minnesota winters. In fact, I miss them. You probably would too if below zero windchills and snow were all that you had ever known. A year ago, I had quite a bit of a weather shock when winter never arrived. I kept waiting for the leaves to change and for the crisp, cool air to usher in winter. Instead, I experienced what I call a "perpetual fall." The temperatures do not dip below the 60s, and Californians consider anything in the 50s to be cold. Of course, this is laughable to Minnesotans. Already, Californians have pulled out their "winter" coats and scarves. I chuckle when I see the neat display of scarves, hats, and mittens at Target.

I can feel that I have started to climatize. I periodically forgo my uniform of flip flops and skirts for real shoes and jeans. Last year, flip flops and skirts were my uniform well through the California winter, despite the strange looks that I received from passerby bundled up in scarves and coats. This year, I am coming back to Minnesota for Christmas. Already, I shudder as I wonder if I will be able to handle a "real winter"- I am trading highs in the 60s for highs in 20s. Brrr....it's hard to believe that a year ago I was playing in the ocean on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

No comments: