Wednesday, May 6, 2009

some updates

Over halfway through the quarter, and still surviving. I'm not burnt out and I'm taking measures so I stay relatively sane, but still, I will need to sleep for a straight week after the quarter ends. The last few posts have been about school, so here's are some unacademic updates:

Last night, I made Thai Curry Beef Skewers. Go ahead and give 'em a whirl. They were super easy to make, and they were yummy.

The other day, I made a marsala cream sauce with sauteed mushrooms, served over spaghetti. I was inspired by the mushroom marsala dish that Drew ate at Peppino's a few weeks ago. Here's the recipe I used:

1 medium chopped onion
4-5 cloves chopped garlic
3 T butter, divided
1 c marsala wine
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c grated parmesan
salt and pepper

Saute the onion in 1 T butter for about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 more minute. Add the wine, and simmer until it's reduced to about 2 T liquid. Add the cream and simmer until it's reduced by about half. Stir in 2 T cubed butter, and keep stirring until it's melted. Stir in parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper. (To serve, Drew and I added in sauteed mushrooms and mixed the sauce with spaghetti. We found that this recipe makes enough sauce for about 1/3 box of spaghetti)

The key to making this sauce is patience. A lot of it. Before I tried out this recipe, I first tried to make chicken marsala. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I was rather impatient and did not let the wine fully reduce. Then, instead of using heavy cream, I tried to substitute half and half. That was not a good idea. In a meeting with my adviser, I asked LD where I went wrong. He told me that I didn't let the wine reduce enough and that I had to use heavy cream. So, I did both, and mission accomplished!

Last night, I watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Good movie.

No comments: