Monday, June 29, 2009

cavities, the beach, and bill bryson

I went to the dentist today and I found out that I have 4 cavities. Four. They are between my teeth, which means that I really suck at flossing. Instead, the dentist probably just thinks that I am lying when I tell him that I really do floss every day. Which is worse? Lying or being so bad at flossing that the dentist thinks I'm lying? I've never had cavities before, and now I have to get them filled. I know it's a routine procedure, but 'm a little nervous. And, I feel defeated because I was so proud to have never had a cavity.

There, aren't you glad you read that? I'm sure your day feels complete now. Here's another silly, useless piece of information about my life. I decided to go to the beach on Sunday to enjoy the nice weather and my new beach chair. It was sunny and about 80 degrees. I also decided to go to the Newport Peninsula because I hadn't been there in a couple years. Going to the Newport Peninsula on a nice weekend day in the summer was probably the worst idea I'd had since taking calculus in college. The roads were incredibly congested, and I think it took me 1.5 hours to get to Newport, drive down the peninsula, and turn around. Also, people like to ride their bikes in the street, 2, 3, or 4 abreast, dangerously close to traffic. Apparently, this is great fun on a Sunday afternoon.

You would think that I would have learned my lesson, but no. I got back on the PCH and drove to Huntington Beach. The roads were still incredibly congested, but I did get a parking spot. Then I sat on the beach for about a half an hour, on my beach chair, ate a sandwich and read a book. It was too windy, so I went home. I spent 2.5 hours in traffic to sit on the beach for 30 minutes. It was the first time I went to the beach and came home without tan lines.

Here's some news in which I don't complain: Bill Bryson, this funny travel author is awesome. I read "A Walk in the Woods" (he hikes the Appalachian Trail) a couple weeks ago, and now I'm reading "The Lost Continent" (he goes on this road trip through the US) . He is from Iowa, he says pop, and he is laugh-out-loud hilarious.

I am leaving this Friday for DC to visit the BF! It's my first trip to DC!

No comments: