Thursday, September 23, 2010

fall!

I had my first pumpkin spice latte the other day, which I guess means that fall is here. Judging by some of my friends' Facebook statuses, I'm not the only one who takes pumpkin spice lattes (or anything pumpkin really) as an indicator that the seasons have changed. There have been other clues, too. The weather is getting a tad chilly (this is relative, of course), grocery stores are stocking up on some beautiful pumpkins and squashes, and I found some canned pumpkin at Trader Joe's.

On a different subject, I know I'm going to sound young and maybe even a little foolish for saying this, but I'll say it anyway: I don't know what life was like before the internet. I've said this aloud many times, so I figured that it was about time that I put it in "writing." Just a few minutes ago, I googled "how to store pomegranates." And the internet gave me the answer. In case you're wondering, pomegranates will keep for one month undisturbed and out of the sunlight on your kitchen counter, or 3 months undisturbed and in the refrigerator. Amazing.

I consult the internet for many things I don't know. For example, one day I had to jump start my car, but I didn't know exactly how to do it. Drew was graciously helping me of course, and even though he knew how to do this, I was stubborn and wouldn't let him do it. After all, I didn't want to embody the female stereotype and delegate car stuff to a man. And besides, what would I do if he wasn't available? Consult the internet, of course! And so I did.

I use the internet to learn stuff (how to freeze vegetables, how to temper an egg, how to can), but I also use it to get from Point A to Point B. I have no idea what life was like before google maps. Seriously. My GPS system is a collection of fold up maps in my car, but even I cannot fathom how people got to places that they did not know.

I don't do everything on the internet, even if it seems like I do. I do use it for communication and for research. But I prefer to consult travel books when planning a trip. And when I really want to learn a new skill, I consult real books. When I decided that I wanted to learn to can, I consulted the internet as an initial guide, but I ended up buying the canning bible, also known as the Ball Guide to Canning and Preserving. I try out recipes on my favorite food blogs, but I still prefer cookbooks. And until very recently, I still read an actual newspaper instead of the online version.

I know the internet isn't always a good thing. While I'm googling "how to make a french knot," someone else might be googling "how to make a bomb." While I use the internet as a communication tool, some people abuse it and use it to stalk and bully people, and sometimes worse. The internet makes it easier to access the good stuff, but it also makes it easier to do the bad stuff. But, there are downsides to everything. I still love the internet. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to catch up on the morning news.

No comments: