Saturday, March 17, 2012

an update

Drew and I made a quick trip to Minnesota at the end of February for my grandma's 90th birthday. My dad informed me that he misses reading my blog. I am flattered, but also a bit confused. I mean, I talk to my parents at least once every other week, and I don't blog about anything that they don't know about anyway. Oh well. Parents are peculiar like that. So, this one's for you, Dad (and you too Kathleen, Drew's mom).

So, as I said, we were in Minnesota. There was a bit of snow (woo-hoo!) and temperatures were in about the mid 20s. It was glorious, just the thing I needed. We arrived on a Friday and trekked over to the Mall of America, where we ate cheese curds and I made my usual MN souvenirs purchases. That night we went to the Old Log Theatre, where we ate dinner and saw a play. The next day, we headed out to my grandma and grandpa's, which is in rural Minnesota, about 2 hours west of the Twin Cities. There was a lovely birthday party and it was great to see everyone.

Another exciting thing to happen recently is that my parents gave me a Nook for Christmas. This is newsworthy because I'm not really tech savvy. I am always the last of my friends to get anything technologically innovative. I was the last to get a cell phone, a desktop computer, and a laptop. My cell phone is not fancy; it has a qwerty keyboard and takes pictures, but it's pretty much just a phone. But now because of my parents, I am among the first of my friends to have an e-reader. And I love it. I didn't fully appreciate it until the trip to Minnesota because it was great to take a trip and not have to lug around 2 or 3 books (I like to have options when I travel). It's small, compact, and light. I can barely remember what life was like before it (okay, now I'm being dramatic, but you know what I mean).

My life has been consumed with school and running. I've remained injury free (knock on wood). I struggled with shin splints, but it appears that taking a week off to rest while in Minnesota and running 3 times a week instead of 4 has helped alleviate those. We are building mileage and so far have worked our way up to 16 mile runs. Our perspective has changed dramatically; it used to be that 5 or 6 mile runs seemed far, and now those are easy, short runs. On a good day, even a 10 mile run is easy. Even though running has gotten easier, the first 3 miles or so are still hard for me. The first mile is pretty easy, but sometimes during the 2nd and 3rd miles I feel like I've never run before. I continue to enjoy running and for the most part, it is something that I look forward to doing and it's become a good habit.

No comments: