Friday, March 15, 2013

tempeh helper

This is embarrassing to admit, but I went through a brief period of time between college and grad school in which I had a strange fascination with Hamburger Helper. I don't really remember much about it. Some co-workers were surprised that I'd never had it before, and though they weren't exactly singing its praises, I felt like I missing out. And so I made Hamburger Helper a few times, once with actual hamburger, but the rest of the times with veggie crumbles. I don't remember what kinds I made, and though I didn't think they were horrendous, they didn't become a habit, largely because I was horrified at the high sodium content.

I had forgotten all about Hamburger Helper until sometime last year, when I purchased "Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, author of many vegan cookbooks and blogger over at Post Punk Kitchen
This version is far superior to any boxed version. Sure, the "cheese" here is fake, but you are lying to yourself if you think it's real in the boxed version. Anyway, this version is made with tempeh, and it's super easy to make, which is perfect when it's the end of the quarter. Or really anytime you need a fast and easy meal.
Drew roasted some carrots with...oh dear, I wasn't paying attention, but they were a bit spicy. I also made these biscuits.

No comments: