Tuesday, April 30, 2013

chocolate chip bars

For as long as I can remember, my mom has made chocolate chip bars. Whether it's a potluck or a road trip, my mom can be counted on to make a pan of bars. They begin with a cake mix, and she used to add walnuts, but I believe she eventually stopped at my request. 

It was not until fairly recently that I learned that the concept of bars was not widespread in the United States. I don't know if they are a Minnesota thing, or a Midwestern thing, but they are certainly not a California thing. In the summer of 2006, at a family reunion in Minnesota, an announcement inviting people to a potluck caused a bit of confusion. Among other information, there were suggestions for dishes for people to bring, such as bars. The California contingent of our family was perplexed. Bars? Like a drinking establishment? Or prison? This led to a lot of laughs and a long running joke that continues to this day. In fact, for a period of time, every time I visited the Oceanside family, I would bring a pan of bars.  
I've made my mom's version of chocolate chip bars here and there, but I stopped a few years ago because I prefer to bake from scratch. I hadn't thought much about them, until I stumbled across a recipe in the Fat Witch Brownie cookbook. The author, who owns the Fat Witch Bakery, calls them blondies, but to me, they are chocolate chip bars and nothing else.

After nearly a month long hiatus, bars were the perfect way to ease back into baking. They are quick and easy, and the results are always satisfying. I've made lots of things from the Fat Witch cookbook, and it's my go-to cookbook when I want to make brownies or bars.   

No comments: