Thursday, June 20, 2013

parsley pesto

When I was a kid, I used to fill out comment cards at stores, telling anyone who would listen that I was mad because I couldn't reach products on the top shelves. That I couldn't do so because I was a child never crossed my mind. Having been short my entire life,  even as a child, somehow I just knew this would be a lifelong issue.

And I was right; as an adult, I can't reach most things on the top shelves of any store. Before I dated Drew, sometimes I just wouldn't buy what I couldn't reach (which he found a bit baffling) and sometimes I would ask for help- it depended upon my mood or if a taller person was easily accessible. These days, Drew and I usually shop together, so my being vertically challenged is a non-issue.  

We made fusilli with parsley pesto the other day. The recipe is from Bon Appetit, which calls for spaghetti. But I wanted fusilli, but at Whole Foods the other day (Drew was busy grading final exams), it was on the top shelf, out of my reach. In the past, I've simply opted for penne instead, but this time, I sucked it up and asked someone to get me the fusilli.
 
It is a misconception that pesto is made with basil. In fact, pesto means "to crush" or "to grind." It can be made with pretty much anything. I'm normally not a huge fan of parsley, but I was intrigued by this recipe, and it was pretty good. Plus, pesto is so easy to make.
We ate this pasta with sautéed carrots, which I grew in our garden. Drew added butter and sage, which I also grew (no, I didn't churn the butter, but we have done that once in case you're wondering).

PS: Drew just told me that the parsley pesto was good, but it needed something. Apparently, my addition of sun dried tomatoes was insufficient.

No comments: