Friday, August 17, 2007

A Marathon, not a Sprint: Part 3.

UCI operates on the quarter system. We start the fall quarter at the end of September and end the spring quarter in the middle of June. Each quarter is comprised of 10 weeks of instruction and a finals week. As I said before, being a grad student is my job, and everything I do is in preparation of being a professor. I am working any time I am in class, teaching a discussion section, reading, grading exams, and writing. My schedule is really flexible, and I get to create my own schedule. The only times in which I have to be accounted for is class times and office hours. I can work anywhere that I want: my office, a coffeeshop, the beach, or even the pool. I have been known to grade exams at the beach and read books at the pool.

Grad school classes are referred to as seminars. They are usually 3 hours long and meet once a week. It is a lot different from being an undergrad. I have been in seminars with class sizes ranging from 4 to 10 students. Although professors teach the seminars, it is up to the students to carry the discussions. In grad school, professors do not lecture; instead, they facilitate the discussions. Professors prepare a syllabus, and we are expected to keep up with the weekly readings (books and journal articles) so that we can contribute to the discussions. Each week, one person will prepare a presentation that offers a summary, analysis, and any criticisms of that week's readings. Seminars allow us to familiarize ourselves with the literature, and the weekly presentations get us ready for the time when we will have to prepare class lectures.

In addition to taking 2 classes each quarter, I also TA. As a TA, I lead discussion sections where I prepare a lesson plan with activities geared towards helping the students understand the course material. I also hold office hours each week so that I am accessible for students in case they have questions. Of course, I also grade papers and exams. TAing has been a great way to build relationships with professors and it gives me good teaching experience. Although I have to deal with what we call "grade grubbers"- students who will anything for an A, even if it's undeserved- being a TA has been a valuable and rewarding experience for me.

My first year of grad school went by really fast, and I am looking forward to my second. I am having a great time in California, and I encourage you to keep reading as I share my experiences.

No comments: