Sunday, August 26, 2007

The O-side Fam

I have many, many relatives on my mom's side of the family scattered in the Midwest and California. My maternal grandma had 2 sisters (my great aunts) move to California when they were in their 20s. Of course, I don't blame them for relocating to the West Coast, the Pacific Ocean, and 60 degree winters. They never returned to Minnesota, and they had children (my mom's cousins) and established their lives in California. When I applied to UCI, I had no idea that I would be living so close to some of my mom's cousins and their families. (Confused yet? Me too- I just call everyone here my cousin) In fact, I had no clue where Irvine was even located. After meeting the Murphys (Mike, Karen, Mallory, Allison, Kylie) and the Millers (Eileen, Chris, Kellen, Cole) at a family reunion in the summer of 2006, I learned that we would be only a one hour train ride away. Oceanside is only about a half an hour north of San Diego. I spend the holidays with the Oceanside family and we have loads of fun. (Of course, I do feel like I'm cheating on my Minnesota family.)

This weekend I went to Oceanside, California to visit the Murphys. Every time I visit, I bring them bars. Bars is an unknown term in California. When the Murphys were in Minnesota last summer, they were confused by the reunion invitation which invited guests to bring bars. They were clueless, until they were told that bars are sort of like cookies in 9x13 pans. They love to tell this story to all of their friends. This weekend, I brought Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Bars.

On Friday night, we went to a free jazz concert in the park with some of the Murphys' friends.

On Sunday, I went to an Angels game with Mallory, Kylie, and Kevin. Kevin is a new cousin that I just met this weekend. His family lives in Montana (by way of Idaho and North Dakota), and Kevin works for a construction company. He is currently doing work in Parris, CA, which is about an hour inland from Oceanside. This is the view of the Angels stadium from our seats:
Watching baseball in an outdoor stadium is a fun experience. The Minnesota Twins play in the Metrodome, so I had never watched baseball in an outdoor stadium. A few weeks ago, I came to watch the Twins play the Angels. My friend and I sat right behind the bullpen. I watched Carlos Silva warm up with Joe Mauer. Later I saw Pat Neshek, Dennys Reyes, Joe Nathan, Juan Rincon, and Matt Guerrier.
I always cheer for the Minnesota Twins, but the Angels are my second team. I'm not a very good fan, though. Here we are in the nosebleed seats:
(Kylie, Kris, Kevin, and Mallory)
Kris, Kylie

No comments: