Monday, November 24, 2008

2 down, 1 to go

We're nearing the end of the quarter, and yoga is keeping me sane. Tonight we did headstands, something I had not done since my gymnastics days. The end of the quarter is always stressful and busy, namely because we are busy writing class papers. I feel like I'm in a good place; for the first time ever, I actually got started early, so I have a good start on 2 of my 3 class papers. Today, a colleague and I presented our research design examining ballot initiatives and same sex marriage bans. The presentation went really well, and we got some helpful feedback. Go us. Stay tuned for updates.

All right, now on to the frivolous stuff. Today I got some return address labels from the St. Jude's Hospital, presumably because this is supposed to be an incentive for donating money. Occasionally, I get return address labels from different organizations that want money. This is what I wonder: How many letters do these organizations think I send? Why would I need so many return address labels? And, seriously, who thinks that return address labels are a good incentive?

We don't get the Food Network. To cope, I have started to watch Amazing Wedding Cakes on the Women's Entertainment channel. The program follows 3 bakeries, and each episode focuses on a different cake project in each bakery. Cake decorating looks really cool, but really time consuming. And, they have to start early with the cake stuff- cakes are baked like 4 days ahead of the delivery date. So, while I'm really impressed by all the cake decorating and cake construction, I wonder if the cake tastes like crap. Is it really dry? What are the tradeoffs for having a super cool looking cake?

No comments: