Wednesday, November 5, 2008

i was walking down ring road

No matter the outcome, we knew that history was going to be made last night. I waited an hour to vote for the first black president, much longer than I'd waited any other time at the polls. Although I never became addicted to the Obama Kool-Aid, I felt really good when I cast my vote. I went to an election night party hosted by the department, and left around 8. A couple friends and I headed to the pub, and the race was called while we were in transit on ring road. So, when I look back and think about where I was and what I was doing when we elected our first black president, I apparently will say that I was walking down ring road. It sounds so silly.

The pub had a pretty good turnout. It was inspiring to see so many politically engaged college students. McCain graciously conceded, and a little piece of me felt sad that we were not going to have our first woman vice president. Still, I knew how amazing this night was, considering the fact that the Brown decision and Civil Rights Act occurred only in the last 50 or so years. As I listened to Obama speak, and as I watched his family join him on stage, it was amazing to see someone other than a white man as the president-elect. That people of color can achieve the highest elected office in the US and be a leader is such a powerful image.

One of my friends said that he is so proud of what Obama's victory says about us. I say that I'm proud of what Obama's victory says about what we can become. It changes our conceptions of our leaders. It says that white men are not intrinsically better leaders. It says that people of color can be in positions of power. Some may be uncomfortable about this, but it's inevitable and people of color are going to demonstrate that they can be leaders too. When we think of who can be in a position of power and who can be a leader, we won't automatically assume that it's a white man. Obama will have an effect on our country simply by being.

1 comment:

Amanda Ebner said...

I wouldn't be at all sad about not having a woman in the Veep; there were no REAL women running, only a wingnut in a skirt suit.