Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Operation Chocolate Chip Cookie: Trial 17

After testing out the cookie dough, I was pretty confident that I had finally baked the best chocolate chip cookie. But after baking the first batch, I realized that my mission was not yet over (I have no doubt that some of you taste testers are breathing a sigh of relief). This cookie is inspired by my adviser, LD, who suggested baking a cookie with toffee bits. I used the recipe from Trial 8 (the Maple Walnut Chippers- with maple syrup as the secret ingredient), and I added toffee bits and substituted the walnuts for pecans. The cookie dough was full of flavor, and it took some willpower to stop eating it. Anyway, here is a photo of the final product:

I recall that the cookies in Trial 8 baked up quite nicely, but this wasn't the case this time around. The cookies spread out and got kind of thin. They were also pretty dark, and the edges were mildly crunchy and sort of carmelized. The cookies are soft and chewy, but the taste of the pecans is pretty much overpowered by the maple syrup and toffee. Despite the unappealing look, these cookies are quite tasty. The toffee bits seemed to melt in with the maple syrup, giving the cookie a super sweet flavor. It is almost like eating a chewy toffee-maple candy with bursts of chocolate.

I haven't decided if I'm going to give the toffee another go. I was disappointed that the toffee melted into the cookie, rather than retaining its distinct crunchy properties and flavor. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know what makes those look unappealing. Yum!