Monday, August 3, 2009

what if?

Sometimes, I have nagging questions for which I need an answer. These are usually random and rather strange questions, but I need to know. For example, sometimes I think to myself "What if I am driving down the road and my tire falls off my car?" Will I go careening into the side of the road? Will I suddenly halt traffic? Will my engine erupt in flames?

Well, now I know the answer. Sort of. I was driving to The District yesterday and my car, Charlie, started to shake a bit more than usual. I got a little nervous, but I just thought I was being paranoid. When I parked Charlie, I got out and took a look at all my tires, just to make sure I didn't accidentally get a flat. The tires looked fine.

On the drive home, Charlie started to shake more and more, and I was having difficulty accelerating. As I got closer to campus, I became worried that I wouldn't make it home and I silently began swearing at the mini van in front of me to hurry up and drive faster. I barely got home and parked Charlie, and when I got out, I saw that my front right tire was gone. Only the rim remained (is that what it's called?).

My roommate's boyfriend put the spare tire on Charlie, and after everything was squared away, I wondered where I had actually lost my tire. On my way to yoga, I scanned the street for signs of tire scraps, but I saw nothing. From my apartment window, I could see a black object on the side of the street, and I wondered if that was my tire. Well, this afternoon, I took the back way home just to check it out. As I got closer, I had confirmation. There was my tire, entirely in one piece. My roommate said that she and her bf passed by it earlier this morning and chuckled, impressed that it was all in one piece.

So I guess that now I know the answer to this "what if?" question. Everything is fine, and obviously, I am in one piece.

No comments: