Tuesday, October 6, 2009

missing minnesota

I always get a little nostalgic for Minnesota during this time of year. Maybe it's because I know that the leaves are changing color and the temperature is dropping in Minnesota. Maybe it's because it's playoff season. Maybe it's because I just tuned in to the last few minutes of Monday night football to see the Vikings beat the Packers. Maybe it's because the Twins are playing the Tigers in almost an hour for a chance to advance to the playoffs. Maybe it's because people in California are pulling out their hideous ugg boots and scarves, and I want to go up to them, slap them up side the head, and tell them that those things are for cold weather, really cold weather, not cool weather. Boots and scarves are equipment for cold weather states like Minnesota or Michigan, not warm weather states like California.

This morning, I checked the weather forecast for Minneapolis. It was raining, and in the next 10 days or so, the daytime high will hover around the mid 40s. The mid 40s. That's not cold, especially for Minnesota. Already at the beginning of October, it is colder in Minnesota than it probably ever will be in Southern California, at least during the day. I admit, I have acclimated to the SoCal weather. I can detect a shift from summer into fall. I no longer wear skirts and flip flops year round. But the word "cold" has not entered my weather vocabulary, and my winter coat and scarves remain tucked away in my closet.

Did I mention that the BF loves the weather in Southern California? I miss winter, and he hates it. The temperature has dropped in SoCal, down from like 80 degrees to the high 60s and low 70s. It has cooled off fairly considerably at night, and Drew has used the word "frigid" once or twice to describe the temperature. The other evening, we took a walk to return a DVD. He was wearing a long sleeve shirt and as we were walking, I stripped off my sweatshirt to reveal only a t-shirt. He was cold, and here I was, walking around in short sleeves. I offered my sweatshirt to him, but he declined. But nice guy that he is, he carried it home for me.

All right, I'm turning back to my work now. I'm trying to get some stuff done before I go home to bake pumpkin swirl brownies and tune in to the Twins game. Go Twins!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Minnesota misses you too, Kris! Let us know if you're ever coming back for a visit! We'd love to see you.