Saturday, October 24, 2009

pear ginger maple pie

Let me start this off by divulging my semi-addiction to the Food Network. Now, I'm no couch potato, and the Food Network is hardly a priority in my life. (I don't rush home to watch the Iron Chef, for example) But when I'm crocheting or being mellow in the evening, I like to see what's on the Food Network. And I really like the reality TV/competitive cooking shows, like the Iron Chef, the Next Iron Chef, and Chopped. (damn, I DO sound like a couch potato) So the judges on these competitive cooking shows have no mercy, and they are really critical and sometimes downright mean. Let me share a snip of a funny conversation between Drew and I:

Me: Drew, do you think that chefs watch competitive cooking shows on the Food Network? Or do you think they avoid them because it's just too close to home?
Drew: uh, I don't know.
Me: I mean, do you think that a bunch of academics would watch a competition about research?
Drew: I don't think anybody would watch that show.
(hahaha! He's probably right.)

Now, strange as this sounds, these shows are good for grad school. Sounds weird, but the judges' critiques remind me that even these seasoned, trained, extremely talented and knowledgeable chefs are still subject to these brutal reviews. One judge may think the meat is done just right, or the other thinks the exact same cut of meat is undercooked. One judge may have made the dish a particular way, while another would have taken it a different direction. So, amidst the entertainment, I am reminded that even those who are extremely good at their jobs are not flawless, still subject to criticism, and not to take criticism personally.

Even though competitive cooking shows might be good for school, they may not be so good for my baking. Last week, I made a Pear Ginger Maple Pie. (the pie is almost gone, so I have no original picture) When I took a bite, I actually said "the ginger is too overpowering for me." What? I don't talk like this. The Food Network has infiltrated my mind. How is it possible that I am more critical of my pies than the papers I write? Are my efforts misplaced?

So maybe I'm not a fan of ginger. Come to think of it, I'm not. (but I do like gingerbread and gingerbread cookies) So maybe that's why I wasn't a huge fan of this pie. When I first cut into the pie, something was weird. The crust was soggy and gross. Drew was not bothered, but I was. Per his suggestion, I covered the pie with foil, and put it back in the oven. I let it cook for about 30 more minutes on the bottom rack to make sure that the crust got done. It worked, but the crust turned out kind of hard and maybe a little dark. But at least it wasn't soggy.

Drew really, really, really liked this pie. He said that maybe it was his favorite. Heidi, another ginger fan, also liked the pie. In my quest to bake good pie, I'm getting pretty good at rolling out the dough, but not so good at baking pie. I am still trying to figure out how to get really good, buttery flaky crust. Stay tuned. Next up? Peach Bourbon pie.

No comments: