Tuesday, November 24, 2009

griffith park, hot dogs, and baking bread

Last weekend was an eventful one. On Saturday, Drew and I went up to LA to check out Griffith Park and Griffith Observatory. It's kind of like Central Park, except that I actually liked Central Park. Anyway, because I've decided to be a tourist while I'm here (I don't plan to return after grad school), I'm making sure to hit up all the recommended attractions. Hence, the trip to Griffith Park. I like parks, really I do, and I like hiking. But I don't think that hiking in Griffith Park constitutes real hiking. Not when I can still see LA and not when I can look down and see roads and tennis courts. Nevertheless, it was nice to be outside and have a nice walk.
Look! Flowers grow in November here!
Anyway, Drew and I went up to the Griffith Observatory, walked around a bit, and enjoyed the view.
I'm not going to lie; the view was nice and it was cool to look out over LA.
After that, we headed over to Pink's, which is like a Hollywood legend, and waited for about an hour for their famous hot dogs. (Of course, I've already yelped about it) Pink's is overrated and not worth the long wait, but the food satisfies salty junk food cravings.
So Drew has decided that he wants to bake bread, and that's just what he did on Sunday. By the way, what is it about men and bread baking? He is the 3rd guy that I know of who has decided to learn. I know no women who bake bread. I went through a bread baking phase about 5 years ago, but it was short lived. I was never really dedicated to it; after all, I didn't get the baking stone and pizza peel. Here are the before shots:
And here is the after shot:
The bread was good and seemed pretty easy to make. He is using the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, whose recipes don't require kneading (Is kneading a real turnoff in bread making? I kind of like it). The 5 minutes refers to the prep time, not the resting or baking time. The recipes make multiple loaves, so the extra dough can sit in your fridge for up to 14 days. I hope he makes me a baguette next.

No comments: