Sunday, November 1, 2009

operation chocolate chip cookie: trial 18

I bet you forgot all about my quest to bake the best chocolate chip cookie, so let it be known that the search is still on. We have a guest pastry chef for this latest trial: Drew. Last week, he made a batch from a family recipe, Chocolate Chip Crispers. I will have you know that he made these cookies with minimal assistance from myself. (all I did was measure the pecans, chocolate chips, and coconut)
The secret ingredient in these cookies is Rice Krispies. Since the cereal doesn't really have much of a flavor, its value lies in the crunch factor. The Rice Krispies give the cookies texture and crunch, yet the cookie is still soft and chewy. So you get the best of both worlds; crunchiness and chewiness without actually having a hard, crisp cookie.
These cookies are chock full of flavor. The dough contains coconut, coconut extract, and pecans. Drew divided the dough in half and added either butterscotch chips or chocolate chips to each half. I can't decide which version I like better. The chocolate chips are truer to the original cookie, but the butterscotch chips are a nice twist. These cookies are so sweet that it is almost like eating candy. I really enjoyed the creative take on an old classic.

No comments: