Tuesday, November 17, 2009

on reading

When I was young, I went to the public library nearly every weekend. I have fond memories of reading, looking for new books, and being consumed with an interesting story. My parents encouraged my reading and they let me read whatever I wanted to read. In fact, this is probably when I developed a love for reading. Since then, my taste in reading has changed. I have exchanged fiction for non-fiction, but I find that I still make weekly or bi-monthly trips to the public library. Over the summer, I discovered the Newport Beach Public Library, thanks to the newfound freedom that comes with purchasing a car. It might sound a bit odd; I spend my days reading academic books and articles, and then I curl up with a non-academic book most evenings.

I've gone through phases with books. Before I came to grad school, I read quasi-academic stuff about reproductive rights, the Supreme Court, and women's rights in my free time. Now, I rarely read books about women's rights or political science in my free time. Instead, I read books about food, cooking, history, and other social science-y topics.

I went through a Bill Bryson phase late in the spring and throughout the summer. Bryson is a humorous travel writer, and I devoured A Walk in the Woods; I'm a Stranger Here Myself; and The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America. I am also going through a foodie phase, reading lots of books with cooking, baking, and eating anecdotes. I recently read Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant: Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone; Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen; and Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise. When I returned from my second trip to D.C. and fresh off a visit to Ford's Theatre, I went through a Lincoln assassination phase. I read Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer and The Assassin's Accomplice: Mary Surratt and the Plot to Kill Abraham Lincoln.

As you can see, I tend not to read a lot of fiction. I've tried to embrace fiction, really I have. I went through a Jane Austen phase and really tried to enjoy Pride and Prejudice, but I got bored after about 100 pages. (perhaps Austen isn't the best place to start when attempting to embrace fiction?) I have an old friend from college who is well read in the "classics," and I always envied her persistence and ability to read these books. She always sounded so smart and well versed when she talked about them. A few months ago, one friend mentioned that she was taking another crack at the Brothers Karamazov, and the other lamented how bored he felt when trying to read the same book. Me? I'm not even going to try.

It seems like high school literature classes misdirect their reading lists. I might be off base here, but I'm not sure any student will develop an appreciation or enjoyment of reading by having Shakespeare shoved down their throats. When I was in high school, I remember being bored with Shakespeare, The Grapes of Wrath, A Tale of Two Cities, and The Crucible. (I know there were more, but I can't remember them.) I once read that one in four adults read no books last year. One in four. Maybe high school is too blame, maybe not, but I don't see how my life has benefited from the exposure to the "classics." And hey, this is purely anecdotal, but I think I turned out just fine.

So, I'm okay with not knowing the difference between Hamlet and Macbeth. I don't feel bad that I don't know what happens to the guy who implores you to call him Ismael. And if I can't remember which times were the best and which times were the worst, then I'm okay with that too. These days, I'm reading a couple books about cooking anecdotes and an autobiography about a plus-size model. Oh, and I'm learning about blood diamonds too. I can't wait to tell you about that book. Stay tuned.

No comments: