Saturday, December 19, 2009

waiting for snow

I've been waiting nearly two years to see snow. That's how long it's been since I've been to Minnesota. I say this every year since I've lived in California, and I'll say it again: it's December, but it sure doesn't feel like Christmas. Not when it's in the mid 70s and sunny. Not when I can wear flip flops. Not when I can go outside without a jacket. The giant Christmas tree in the shopping mall, the decorations, and the Christmas music all seem misplaced. I know that people here are used to all of this, but I still can't get over it.

This Christmas, I'm headed to Virginia, the southwestern part, where large quantities of snow are rather infrequent. I've been hoping to see snow, and well, I got my wish. As of this morning, Virginia got 19 inches of snow, with another 3 or 4 on the way. Even by my Minnesota standards, that's a lot of snow.

And I can't wait. I know it will be cold, but I'm looking forward to donning my red wool peacoat, a scarf, hat, and mittens. I can't wait to trudge through the snow in search of a Christmas tree. I've been talking about seeing snow, playing in the snow, and making snow angels ever since Drew and I booked our plane tickets. In less than 24 hours, I will finally get a white Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a great holiday in VA, Kris!