Sunday, February 21, 2010

dark chocolate chevre brownies

So here's the story: Yesterday, I was studying at Drew's and the Food Network was on in the background. Specifically, Throwdown with Bobby Flay was on in the background. Throwdown is a show in which Flay finds "the best of the best" and then challenges them to a throwdown. It sounds corny, but it's a fun show. He finds people who specialize in some food- pizza, sloppy joes, German chocolate cake, chicken wings, etc. Then he goes to work to perfect his version, shows up at their restaurant or bakery, surprises them, and challenges them to a cook off. Or bake off. It's fun, everyone samples the food, and then judges declare a winner.

On yesterday's episode, Flay was challenging the Vermont Brownie Company to a brownie throwdown. His peanut butter caramel brownies lost to their dark chocolate chevre brownies. Suddenly inspired, I decided right then and there that I HAD to make the chevre brownies. I couldn't find a recipe on the Food Network's website, but I did find one on a blog so I gave that a whirl.

I know what you're thinking. You know that chevre is goat cheese. And you're thinking, seriously? Goat cheese? Goat cheese in a brownie? Yes. Goat cheese and chocolate. It's magnificent. (I suspect that any moment, you are going to knock on my door, begging for a taste)
The brownies are fat and moist, thick and fudgy, just the way I like them. When you take a bite, you get a rich chocolately flavor and you savor the chocolate chunks. And then BAM! Goat cheese! It seemingly hits you out of nowhere, Emeril style. I'm kidding just a little bit; it's not that dramatic, but the goat cheese does wake you up on the aftertaste. It's a pleasant surprise and sure spices up the brownie.

If you've been following along on this blog for a while, you know that sometimes I decide to shake things up a bit and bake up something new and interesting. I went through the chocolate chip cookie phase and baked up about 20 varieties. Then last fall, I went through a pie phase and baked at least a dozen kinds of pie. So, I've been thinking that it might be time for a new project. Brownies. I've been thinking about it for a while, and I think it might be time. I love brownies, but I'm rarely satisfied with the ones I eat. And sometimes I'm satisfied with the ones that I bake, but not always.

Here's my mission: I want to bake good, great, excellent brownies, but they can't be plain and boring. I'm going to bake up some creative and interesting brownies, ones that you won't find at most places. Ones that make you scratch your head in bewilderment, and say, really? You combined (fill in the blank) with (fill in the blank)? And after honing my baking skills and following other people's recipes, I'm going to strike out on my own, play around and bake up the best brownie. Stay tuned. You won't want to miss this.

P.S.: There has been a lot of interest in these brownies, and a few recipe requests. I actually got the recipe from another blog, the Pink Apron. I must give credit where credit is due! Here's the only change I made: I used 5 ounces of chevre instead of the prescribed 4. Happy baking!

6 comments:

JenW!~ said...

We must be on the same mission. I have been searching for the perfect brownie recipe since I watched the same Throwdown episode.

Christina Rodriguez said...

With cheese and chocolate, you can't go wrong! These sound divine. I must make them sometime.

It's good to know Bobby Flay loses his challenges sometimes. One might think him a bit of a boastful jerk for challenging and then one-upping honest cooks in their own kitchen.

Anonymous said...

so where's the recipe ? kat

Anonymous said...

actually bobby is good-natured and doesn't mind someone beating him. that's what i like about him !!!

Anonymous said...

I too have been looking for the perfect Chevre brownie recipe since I watched this Throwdown episode... so will you please share it with us?

K said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for checking out my blog. As for the recipe, I must give credit where credit is due. I got the recipe from the Pink Apron blog. Here is the link to the recipe: http://pink-apron.com/2009/08/fromage-friday-deep-chocolate-brownies-with-chevre-swirls/.

The only change I made had to do with the chevre- I used 5 oz instead of 4.

Happy baking!