Sunday, February 28, 2010

on turning 30

Lately, I've been thinking about turning 30. It's going to happen in a little over 4 months, whether I'm ready or not. And I don't feel ready to be 30. You see, I don't feel responsible or mature enough to be 30. Now, I know what you're thinking. You're going to tell me that you know plenty of irresponsible people who are over 30, or that you know plenty of responsible people in their 20s. You're probably going to remind me that age is just a number. I know all of this, really, I get it but I still don't think I'm ready to be 30.

People who are over 30 know stuff like when to get their oil changed, or what tax form to use, or the meaning of a deductible. I know none of these things. People who are over 30 are responsible and pay their bills on time and don't wait until the last minute to file their taxes. Me? I once forgot to pay my rent and I have automatic bill pay so I don't lose my phone service.

Sometimes, Drew likes to give me a hard time about turning 30 (he is a couple years younger than me). Just the other day, we were at Barnes and Noble, and he found this board game that had a minimum age- 30. It's this game testing your memory of events that occurred at least 3 decades ago or so. However, given the description on the box- it talked about poodle skirts, Elvis, and jukeboxes- I think you need to be much older than 30 to actually have a shot at winning.

I don't mean to make myself sound like a completely immature and irresponsible person. When I get paid on the first of the month, I sit down and pay my bills online (except my phone bill). I plan out my meals each week and make a pretty meticulous grocery list, checking each item off as I walk through the store. Today, I filed my taxes and filled out my FAFSA. The other day, I bought a fire and waterproof safe. There are no prerequisites for turning 30, but maybe I'm ready after all.

1 comment:

Christina Rodriguez said...

You're only as old as you feel. The Hubs is turning 30 this year also, but he certainly doesn't seem any different. Just remember this mantra: "I age well, like a fine cheddar."