Thursday, March 11, 2010

cheesecake ancho chile brownies...and cinnamon raisin bread!

I love brownies. I love cheesecake. I think you can see where this is going. I made cheesecake ancho chile brownies last weekend. Ancho chile powder? Didn't see that one coming, did you? I got a little experimental on this batch. In an attempt to make fudgy brownies, I added 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the brownie batter. Because I am not a chemist, I had no idea what would happen or why I felt so inclined to add the cocoa powder. The end result was a brownie that ended up more on the cake-y side, not the fudgy side. Lesson learned.
So I added the ancho chile powder to kick things up a notch, and it sort of worked. Oh, AND I added cayenne pepper for some added heat and punch. Since I was flying by the seat of my pants, I added the ancho chile powder in 1/4 teaspoon increments, tasting the brownie batter after each addition. After a tablespoon of the chile powder and 1/2 a teaspoon of the cayenne pepper, I was pretty satisfied. The heat wasn't too overwhelming, but it was there. Unfortunately, it mellowed out in the baking process. The brownies are nice and rich, but the ancho chile flavor is subtle and quite possibly undetectable. Regardless, these brownies aren't too bad.

Drew made cinnamon raisin bread! I love homemade cinnamon raisin bread! It was so, so good!

No comments: