Thursday, May 19, 2011

replanting

This week, Drew and I uprooted all of our plants in the garden, added loads of compost and manure to the soil, and replanted. Our plants were turning a yellow hue, which according to the internet could be a result of at least 2 things: 1) overwatering or 2) lack of nutrients. We're assuming that it's both, so we amended the soil and replanted all of our plants. And we're going to go easy on the watering.

We didn't scrap the plants and start over, so I guess you could say we were doing some revising, reframing, and rethinking. This has become a common theme in my life, as I am currently doing the same thing to my dissertation prospectus. I'm told that this stuff happens all the time and that it's part of the whole process. Damn that pesky p word.

When we finished up in the garden yesterday, we looked around at our work, shrugged our shoulders and said "well, at least we tried," meaning that if our plants die now, we can't say that we didn't try to save them. And then we both laughed because while this philosophy might work for plants, it shouldn't be applied to say, raising children.

No comments: