Wednesday, February 13, 2013

eggplant parmesan

There are pretty much only 2 ways I eat eggplant: eggplant parmesan and baba ganoush.  And I don't make either one of them- Drew does.  I think I made eggplant parmesan once, but I failed pretty miserably because you need to use quite a bit of oil when you fry the eggplant and I just don't like doing that.  

Eggplant parmesan is one of Drew's family favorites, and we've got cooking it down to a science.  Drew takes care of the eggplant, while I make the accompanying pasta and usually a salad.  Sometimes we make our own marinara sauce, but last night we copped out and used the jarred kind.  

Drew slices the eggplant (we don't bother with salting it first to remove the moisture) and coats each slice in an egg and milk mixture and then in seasoned bread crumbs.  Then he fries the slices on the griddle, insisting that this requires quite a bit of oil, so I just turn my head and refuse to look.  After he finishes frying the eggplant, he drains the slices and then places them on a baking sheet so I can smother each one in marinara sauce and a slice of mozzarella.  The finishing touch is a sprinkle of garlic powder before going into the oven for about 15 minutes.    

No comments: