Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Surf City Half Marathon

I have taken quite the hiatus here, and for that, I apologize.  I also promise to blog about more than just running.  

But in the meantime...let's talk about...running!

Since we last talked, I ran my 1000th mile since taking up the sport in September 2011.  And last weekend, I ran the Surf City Half Marathon in Huntington Beach.  Overall, it was a lackluster experience, but my running group made it a good day.  

The race was flat, which is good, but it was pretty boring.  We ran on the Pacific Coast Highway, save for a few miles through one of the residential neighborhoods.  I know the ocean was right next to me, but it was nowhere in sight.  I was good for the first 10 miles, but then my mind starts playing tricks on me, and no matter how hard I try to convince myself that I have only a 5K (3.1 miles) left to go, I can't forget that I've already run 10 miles.  I also got a foot cramp and side stitches around the 11th mile, which made it difficult to know whether or not I should kick it up a notch in the final 5K (as I'd planned) or go easy so as to not make things worse.  I used to think that race strategy was such a silly concept; when I'd read about runners talking about it in Runner's World, I used to think "Isn't the plan to just run as fast as possible and hope for the best?"  But now I realize that this is a real thing, and so my strategy in the last 5K was to go easy, take walk breaks, and then go all out when I reached the final mile (I figured that any ensuing pain would be bearable for just a mile).

And for the most part, this strategy worked.  I PRed again, finishing in 2:32 down from 2:35 in the Long Beach Half.  Again, my goal was to finish in under 2:30, but I was thwarted by my tiny bladder and the pit stop after only the 2nd mile.      

This was my third consecutive race in the Beach Cities Challenge (OC, Long Beach, Surf City), so I got a fancy, special medal.

No comments: