Friday, February 8, 2013

soyrizo, black bean, and corn enchiladas

This was a planned, yet unplanned dinner.  A few weeks ago, I picked up some breakfast burritos at Chronic Taco after running group and then stopped at Trader Joe's to get some soyrizo in case Drew wanted some in his burrito (I got chorizo in mine and didn't want him to feel left out).  He didn't, electing to go with the fake bacon we had at home instead.  Anyway, we also had some leftover enchilada sauce in the refrigerator, so we decided it was time to make enchiladas.  That's the unplanned part of dinner. 

I almost never cook without a recipe, but that's exactly what I did last night.  I sauteed an onion, jalapenos, and garlic, and then added the soyrizo.  I dumped in some black beans, corn, the remaining bottle of enchilada sauce, and cilantro and then let it simmer.  Drew made the enchilada sauce, which is based on a recipe from Simply Recipes and can be found here.  We also roasted red potatoes (usually we make beans and rice, but I wasn't feeling it), which Drew mixed with jalapenos, onions, and chipotle powder, I believe.

Though we make enchiladas a lot, we don't actually make enchiladas.  Instead, we make an enchilada lasagna.  We're ambitious enough to make enchilada sauce and cook black beans (as opposed to using the canned stuff- the bean juice weirds me out), but we can't be bothered with making enchiladas.  It's too much work, so instead, we layer enchilada sauce, corn tortillas, filling, and cheese (cheddar and queso fresco this time).  

After about 30 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees, we have this:      

No comments: