Sunday, February 9, 2014

angkor wat, day 2

Looking back, I have no idea how I survived our second day at Angkor Wat. I ate some sketchy fish and meat on our first night, and I got food poisoning. It must have been mildly traumatic because my stomach turns just thinking about it right now. I mean, it's not like I died or anything or like my life was in danger, but food poisoning was not a pleasant experience. 

We went to Ankgor Wat for sunrise, getting there at about 5:30 am. It was okay, but it was cloudy so we didn't see much. It didn't occur to either of us to check the weather before going. When you've lived in a place where it's pretty much 75 and sunny every day and never rains for almost 8 years, you fall out of the habit of checking the weather.    
 This is Angkor Wat, the main temple at, uh, Angkor Wat. 

 The nice thing about getting there so early was that it wasn't too crowded. 


 A swimming pool:





 I'm not sure if you can see the detail here, but there are sculptures and etchings everywhere:

After spending the morning at Angkor Wat, we left and went back to the hotel. I wasn't feeling too well, and we saw everything we wanted to see. We bought a three-day pass, but we didn't return. 

On our third day in Siem Reap, I still wasn't feeling well, but we were able to venture out for lunch and a short walk. We found a vegetarian restaurant and ate on its second floor balcony. 
After 3 full days in Siem Reap, we left for Thailand on the 4th day. In my previous post, I mentioned that Cambodia wasn't like anything we'd experienced before, and that we could tell we weren't in a first world country. One of the noticeable differences was the lack of infrastructure-no traffic lights, paved roads, sidewalks. I snapped some pictures on our way to the airport, and you can kind of see what I mean:


No comments: