Thursday, April 10, 2008

Chicago!

I have been back from Chicago for a couple days now but returning to school has kept me busy and unable to post. Here are a few pictures and a quick recap of my trip. I will post my thoughts from the Midwest Political Science Association conference in the next few days.

I got into Chicago on Wednesday night, and met up with Katie and Jeremy. We went to dinner at Pizzeria Uno, famous for its deep dish pizza. This pizza was quite possibly the best pizza that I have ever eaten in my short little life. On Thursday, I was busy with conference "stuff," which will be recapped in the next post. On Friday afternoon, I went to a Cubs game!

It was a little chilly at the game (around 45-50 degrees), but the native Minnesotan in me handled it well. I had a great seat behind home plate. The days was a bit dreary, but the sun came out as the game progressed. Now, Cubs fans are awesome. I don't have many fans to compare them to (Twins and Angels), but the Cubs fans were super enthusiastic. And turnout was pretty impressive- Wrigley Field was nearly full for an afternoon game during the week.
On Saturday, I headed up to Magnificent Mile, the shopping district a bit north of downtown Chicago. It was a beautiful spring day, around 60 degrees. I was able to ditch the winter coat, which sadly, doesn't get any use in Southern California. First stop: the Hershey's store. I could smell the chocolate from about 6 blocks away. Seriously. Anyway, there was a Ghirardelli store across the street. It smelled nice and chocolate-y, but not as good as the Hershey's store. Here I am with the World's Largest Hershey's Bar:
The afternoon was nice and leisurely; I spent it browsing in stores and window shopping. There was a good variety of shops, sure to satisfy anyone. My last stop: The Freedom Museum. This is a museum that highlights elements of the US Constitution and the First Amendment. It was interesting, interactive, and informative. Of course, I was familiar with the material, and I was fairly impressed with the museum. They also had an exhibit about the presidential election highlighting past presidents and the campaign trail. Below, I have cleverly inserted myself in the montage of past presidents:
That, in a nutshell was my trip. I headed back to Southern California that Saturday evening. Stay tuned for a conference recap!

No comments: