Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Midwest Political Science Geek Fest, Part II

One of my professors, TS, gave me 3 pieces of advice before I headed to Chicago for the Poli Sci Geek Fest. He said: 1) Don't go over your alloted time when you present your paper; 2) Skip the literature review because everyone in the audience already knows it and/or doesn't care; 3) Don't argue with the discussant. I heeded all 3 pieces of advice, and my paper presentations went quite well.

My panel experiences were great. Now, I need to qualify this by reminding you that I was on the gender panels, which means that I was surrounded by women who created this warm, inviting, and collaborative environment. How could I be nervous? I was super excited. Really. I'm certain that being on a panel with men and with an audience primarily composed of men would be quite different. In fact, I have heard that it is. On a side note, I'm going to make a point to go to a male dominated panel at the next conference just to see.

So, I totally wasn't nervous to present my papers. I wasn't even phased by the fact that the audience and panel had some authors who I had cited. I looked at these panels as the opportunity to share my ideas and generate feedback. I treated it no differently than when I meet with KB to discuss the progress of my paper. In fact, I welcomed the opportunity to pick the brains of so many intelligent women who were interested in my research. Cool thing: they liked my ideas and it was super cool to have non-UCI-people validate my research.

I am grateful for TS's advice, but I would have to add a couple more things. Have fun. Remember that panels aren't a time to be hostile or defensive; rather, it's a time to share your research with other people and get feedback. Nobody is out to "get you;" others want to help you further your research and improve your paper. Relax. Have fun.

So, it was a good experience and I've been riding the conference high and using it to be productive. I polished up the front end of my draft and submitted it to KB, I've collected some more data, and I'm running new models tomorrow.

No comments: