Monday, April 6, 2009

cake!

The latest in baking news: I bought a cake/pie carrier and a big inverted spatula to frost my cakes (I already have a small one for cupcakes), just what I need to look like a quasi baking professional. Last weekend, I baked a Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake with crushed Oreos both in the cake and in the Vanilla Buttercream. I took the liberty of adding crushed Oreos to my recipes from the Magnolia Cookbook. The cake seemed a little on the dry side, but everyone adored it. Here's a picture to get those salivary glands going:
Seems I'm a bit territorial in the kitchen. I baked this one solo, and my friend happened to come over while I was making the buttercream. I couldn't bear to cede control over my hand mixer, so he ended up crushing Oreos instead. Hey, that's a big deal. After all, he did play an integral role in making the frosting and he helped me arrange the Oreos on top of the cake.

No comments: