Monday, April 6, 2009

it's time to meet the BF

If you will recall, I mentioned in a previous post about 25 random facts about me that February is usually the time of the year when I am most likely to meet someone new, date, or start a new relationship (see #14). I mentioned that, in case you were wondering, February was shaping up to be a quiet month. Well, scratch that. I am about to embark on what is uncharted blogging territory for me: I'm going to blog about the new BF, Drew.

Drew is a graduate student in the Sociology department. See, in recent department history, there have been many couples made up of Political Science men and Sociology women. And so, I thought to myself, "Hey, that looks like a pretty sweet deal. I'll give that a whirl." Uh, I'm kidding. Kind of. Anyway, Drew and I had crossed paths in the Social Science Tower, but we formally met (for the second time) at a social gathering in the beginning of February. Thanks to the wonders of Facebook, we started talking to each other in cyberspace and it wasn't long before we started hanging out in real life. (That's right, Facebook: helping people get dates since 2003.) So, we've been together since around mid-February, and you know that person that I referred to as "my friend" in previous blog posts? Yeah, that would actually be Drew.

What does he look like, you ask? Check out the picture below, taken while riding the ferris wheel at the Santa Monica Pier.
Drew is a liberal, progressive, feminist-y dude (that's what I call him) from Virginia. He rides a motorcycle, has a neat-o buddha tattoo, and is a really nice guy. I knew he was a keeper when he passed my Vagina Monologues litmus test by joining me and my friends for a performance in mid-February, indicating that he supports the empowerment of women and gets stuff like male privilege, oppression, sexism.

We have a lot of fun together, and we laugh a lot. He laughs at my jokes, which is practically a dating prerequisite. (Drew makes jokes too, but we have decided that I get to be the funny one) Drew cooks a mean breakfast burrito, sings me songs, and gives me nice shoulder massages. And since he's a foot taller than me, he comes in handy when I need help grinding coffee at Trader Joe's (I'm not tall enough to see into the grinder) and when I need something from the kitchen cabinet above the refrigerator. I dazzle him with homemade lasagna, baked goods (naturally), and my ability to remember the lyrics to "Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears.

Here we are again at the Santa Monica Pier.
So, that's Drew. Stay tuned for pictures from our excursions to the Noguchi Garden, the Huntington Library, and the Santa Monica Pier.

1 comment:

Amanda Ebner said...

Tee hee hee I'm giggling like a schoolgirl. You guys are so cute!