Monday, July 6, 2009

d.c., day 2

On the second day, Drew and I headed back to the National Mall. We started with the U.S. Capitol building.


Then we walked across the street to the Supreme Court building! This was definitely a highlight, and I took A LOT of pictures. As you may well know, the Supreme Court is my favorite branch, so this was super exciting.
The Supreme Court is definitely underrated. In fact, Chief Justice John Roberts has said that when he leaves the building, sometimes people hand him their camera and ask him to take their picture. So, it was no surprise that a couple people asked me which building this was.

Drew and I left the Supreme Court and headed back to the Mall. We passed a bunch of House Office Buildings.
Ha! I thought this sign was funny. I had never noticed signs like these in Minnesota, but this snow emergency sign caught my attention.
Drew and I walked around the mall toward the Jefferson Memorial. We paused for a break at the Tidal Basin.

On to the Jefferson Memorial. We took the elevator down to a small exhibit, which painted a very rosy picture of Jefferson with no mention of the alleged children fathered with his slave Sally Hemings and how he even owned slaves.

Our plan had been to hit up the war memorials and the Lincoln Memorial, but like I mentioned earlier, the Mall is huge, and so we called it a day after Jefferson. We plan to finish up the Mall later in the week.

No comments: