Monday, July 6, 2009

d.c., day 3

This morning, Drew went to work and I went to a coffee shop to write. We met up for lunch at a deli and had some awesome egg salad. When he went back to work, I went to the Renwick Gallery, a branch of the Smithsonian American Art Museum. There it is, the brick red building:
I did some quick browsing and headed to the National Mall. I walked around the Washington Monument.
Then I went to the Holocaust Museum. So, we have a museum dedicated to the genocide of Jewish people and their remembrance, but we have no museum to educate people about the atrocities of slavery, the second class treatment of women, the internment of Japanese Americans, or the removal of American Indians. Instead, we have a museum dedicated to injustices that occurred halfway around the world. What about all the injustices that took place right here on U.S. soil?

The Holocaust Museum was educational and well done. I learned about the Nuremberg Trials , the genesis of Hitler's dictatorship, and the genocide in Darfur. There was a discussion about how Jewish people were considered racially inferior, and how "science" backed this up. However, the same belief was used to justify slavery in the United States but there was no mention of that. The good thing was that there was a discussion of laws used to segregate and strip Jewish people of their rights, and it was mentioned that these practices were modeled after the U.S. Oh, and it talked about how other subordinate groups were also victims of the Holocaust, like homosexuals and the Romas (gypsies).

After the museum, I headed back to meet Drew. I stopped by the back of the White House. Here's the picture you used to seeing:
And here's my interpretation:
Drew and I stopped by Cakelove on the way home. This may sound familiar to you. In January, I blogged about my new Cakelove cookbook. And I recently baked a chocolate pound cake, a Cakelove recipe. So imagine my excitement to learn that Cakelove is right down the street!
We got the New German Chocolate cupcake and the Strawberry on Chocolate cupcake. Let me tell you, the frosting is phenomenol. It is light and airy, and it is obvious that there are real strawberries in the buttercream. The toasted coconut is just the right touch on the German Chocolate. As for the cupcakes themselves, the cake was fairly moist, and the flavor was light and not too chocolate-y or overwhelming. These were not overly rich or heavy cupcakes.

No comments: