Wednesday, July 15, 2009

d.c., days 8, 9, 10

My last couple days in D.C. were relatively low key. I was pretty tired from all the sightseeing, the previous week and I knew that I couldn't possibly see everything. Besides, I plan to go back in August and I will be there next winter quarter.

On Saturday, Drew and I slept in and went to Love Cafe for cake. We ate the Toffee Crunch Cake and it was delicious.
We took a walk around the neighborhood and came across this Obey graffiti:

Later that night, we went to El Tamarindo, a Mexican and El Salvadoran restaurant. On Sunday, we went to see Spring Awakening at the Kennedy Center. Spring Awakening is a play about teenagers, repression, and sex. It is set in the 1890s in Germany and based on the play written by Frank Wedekind. The play was controversial and even banned in Germany because it talks about sex, masturbation, rape, abortion, and suicide. The musical deals with all these issues, and is set to rock music. Drew and I enjoyed the musical, and while I think it was very good, I'm not sure it will join the ranks of RENT, Les Miserables, and Miss Saigon. Anyway, the Kennedy Center is really cool and after the play, we danced outside by the fountain overlooking the Potomac River.

On Monday, it was my last full day in D.C. I worked in the afternoon, taking advantage of the library at George Washington University. Later that night, Drew and I met up with some of his old friends at Dukem, an Ethiopian restaurant. I had never had Ethiopian food before, and it was a good experience. I forgot to take a picture when the food came, but here you can see that we devoured it.
Ethiopian food is served poured over injera, which is sort of like a crepe or a pancake. There are no utensils involved- you use the injera to pick up the food and eat it. It was good, and it's fun to share!

Well, that pretty much sums up my first trip. I'll head back again in mid-August, but for now, I'm back in California. That is all for now!

No comments: