Sunday, September 27, 2009

queen mary

Hey, remember when it was a couple weekends ago? I sure do. Drew and I went up to Long Beach to cheer on Carol, who was completing the Avon 2 Day Walk for Breast Cancer. She walked 39 miles in 2 days, and we met her at the finish line.
The finish line was at the Queen Mary events park, so after cheering for Carol, Drew and I went on a tour at the Queen Mary.
I forget when the ship was built (and when it docked at its final location in Long Beach), but it was bigger than the Titanic. Oh, yes, this was mentioned multiple times (must be why I can remember it) If the Queen Mary could talk, I'm sure she would boast about being bigger than the Titanic AND not sinking.
Anyway, the ship is now a hotel and tourist attraction. Drew and I walked around the ship, and we went on a couple of ghost tours. The Queen Mary folks sure play up the allegations that the ship is haunted. Some people died on the ship (some in horrific ways) and I guess that there have been ghost sightings and reports of paranormal activity.

The first tour was pretty over-the-top, complete with special effects and sound effects. We went to the first class swimming pool and the boiler room, among other places. On the second tour, we saw more of the ship and the hotel. There were no special effects, and it wasn't much better than the first tour. Basically, it was like, someone died here and there have been lots of ghost sightings and paranormal activity. Take lots of pictures and you might see something in your pictures. The end.

But, the ship was cool and it was nice to walk around. AND I got a Rosie the Riveter lunchbox.

That is all.

No comments: