Monday, September 28, 2009

strawberries and plums

I recently got a membership to Costco, where naturally you buy everything in bulk. Including fruit. Fortunately, it doesn't go to waste and I'm having fun baking up the excess fruit in cakes and pies. Last weekend, I made a plum upside down cake and a strawberry pie. Oh, and by the way, did I mention that we also started classes last Thursday?

Here is the plum upside down cake. Anytime a recipe begins by instructing you to whisk together equal parts of brown sugar and butter, you know it's going to be good.The cake was moist and sweet, but not annoyingly overwhelming. The plums just kind of melt in with the cake, and it was just delicious and brown sugar-y. Unfortunately for the cake, I also made a strawberry pie, and well, the pie stole the spotlight.

I'm in a pie phase right now, trying different recipes and perfecting my pie crust. Here is the "before" picture of the strawberry pie. With a lattice crust.
Here is the after picture. It smelled sooooooo good! The juices were a little bit runny (but the pie sat up quite nicely after cooling), and I could hardly wait for the pie to cool before digging in.
The crust was flaky and buttery, just the way crust should be. By the way, did you check out the lattice? Now that's real pie. The pie was juicy, fruity, and well, words just can't describe how good it tasted.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

would there be any remnants of this famous strawberry pie?