Sunday, April 18, 2010

on running

Lately, I've been thinking about running. Just thinking about it, more or less. I've been hitting the gym fairly regularly, and I've been running a mile here and there. My mileage is at about 2-3 miles a week. More or less.

The year before I came to grad school, I was bored, so I took up running. In February. In Minnesota. Sometimes, on snow, and sometimes, on ice. I ran a couple 5Ks, and it was fun. I enjoyed the challenge, and I'm not going to lie, I enjoyed that it seemed to be the easiest way to stay in shape. Without altering any of my eating (and, ahem, drinking) habits, I lost about 10 pounds.

But that's not the only reason to run. It is one of the most efficient ways for me to relieve stress, and I feel so much stronger when I do it. But I have all these excuses as to why I don't want to do it. It's too sunny, or it's too hot. I don't want to wake up early to run (which is why I don't really want to sign up for a 5K). I don't like to run alongside all the traffic. I don't like to run on the concrete. I don't like to run on the treadmill or the track. See all my silly excuses?

And yet, I don't give up on thinking about running. I check out Runner's World from the library. I continue to run a mile here and there (a mile and a half last week on the track!). I actually looked into signing up for a 5K, but the thought of dragging myself out of bed for an 8am race on a Saturday sounds torturous. And I'm even blogging about how I think about running. Somehow, I'm hoping that all this thinking turns into doing.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I've been wanting to sign up for a 5K! I've only done one, but I've been wanting to try it again. I found that once I paid the fee, it was the easiest way for me to keep up with running on a regular basis. Maybe we should look at signing up for one? It is easier to get up at a horribly awful hour if you are doing it with someone else. :)

Christina Rodriguez said...

Good luck with the running, Kris. I personally have no running motivation unless it's after an ice cream truck! I'll stick to walking, otherwise.