Friday, April 30, 2010

saving money, week 4

I'm pleased to say that saving money and sticking to a budget was not as painful as I'd anticipated. It was actually a little fun, strange as it sounds, and I didn't feel at all deprived this month. I did have to make some modifications to my budget, but only because I had to register for 2 conferences (really, I had to- I'd put it off as long as possible). Anyway, it feels good. I don't kill time by going shopping, and Drew and I have both become really mindful of our spending habits. Right now he is contemplating a netbook, and I'm contemplating some sort of messenger bag for traveling around Chicago in a month and China this summer. Yes, we are both contemplating purchases, but the important thing is that we're thinking about it instead of just mindlessly handing over our credit cards.

It's tough trying to be a non-consumerist in a consumerist society. Everywhere you turn, society is telling you that you need new stuff. I've been checking out magazines from the public library, and Glamour tells me that I need to buy new accessories to spice up my old clothes. Runner's World tells me I need new running shoes, for optimal performance, of course. And Bon Appetit tells me that I must splurge on a fancy set of mixing bowls.

I can't help but wonder, is this what we're working for? Do we work just so we can buy stuff? Not even necessities, but just stuff. Status symbols. Nicer stuff. Newer stuff.

No comments: