Thursday, April 1, 2010

an r & r

I'm going to take a moment and do some bragging on my blog. I mean, it is my blog, so I guess I can do this. I found out the other day that my paper on abortion rates received an R & R at a journal that will remain unnamed here. An R & R is a revise & resubmit, which means that I received a bunch of comments and suggestions from three anonymous reviewers; I must now take this feedback, revise my paper, and resubmit it to the journal. An R & R may be the best-case scenario in the journal submission process because well, it's better than an outright rejection, and an outright acceptance is pretty unlikely. So now I'll revise my paper, resubmit it, and cross my fingers for an acceptance!

By the way, this experience has given me a newfound appreciation for our qualifying paper process. Yes, we write three papers and sometimes it's frustrating that we must jump through these hoops to get a Ph.D., but seriously, the department isn't kidding when it says that this process prepares you for the journal submission process. For my qualifiers, I had to work with two professors on a paper, I got their feedback on each draft, and I revised my paper until they signed off and approved it. Sound familiar? Keep your fingers crossed for me!

1 comment:

Christina Rodriguez said...

I'm crossing my fingers that your resubmission goes well!