Saturday, June 5, 2010

the sprinkles hoax

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I buy cupcakes. This isn't a habit, but sometimes I get a cupcake craving and I don't feel like whipping up an entire batch. (you probably wish I would though because you know I would share). When I break down and buy a cupcake, Sprinkles is my bakery of choice. Even though the frosting is a little dry, the cupcakes are moist.

I went to Sprinkles yesterday to try out the key lime cupcake. Drew and I also got a lemon coconut one. Here's the thing: the cupcake itself isn't flavored. The flavor comes from the frosting. Our cupcakes were really vanilla cupcakes with lime frosting and lemon frosting respectively. What a hoax. I feel like I just found out that Santa Claus isn't real.

I hopped on the Sprinkles website. Here's the deal: Some of their flavored cupcakes do purport to be a flavored cake and frosting. For example, the strawberry is apparently a strawberry cupcake with strawberry frosting. But the lemon coconut and the coconut are simply vanilla cupcakes. The key lime is supposed to be a "tangy key lime cake" but let me reassure you that it was straight up vanilla.

I am way bummed. Obviously, I mean, I'm blogging about it. But seriously, these cupcakes are $3.25 each. If I'm paying for a key lime cupcake, I expect more than just the frosting to be flavored. Who do they think they're fooling?

No comments: