Thursday, June 24, 2010

strawberry, peach, and rhubarb!

Sometimes, common sense evades me. I found a recipe for a strawberry, peach, and rhubarb pie and I went on a proverbial wild goose chase looking for rhubarb. It took one hour and four grocery stores, but I finally found frozen rhubarb. Now, had I thought to look for the frozen stuff in the first place, my expedition would have been over at grocery store #1. Oh well. Now I have three bags of it in my freezer, which I am very excited about.

It turns out that pie baking might not be like riding a bicycle. I almost successfully made an all butter crust (I used more water than what the recipe called for), but it didn't bake up well and it was soggy. I think it was because I didn't use enough cornstarch to soak up all the fruit juices.
The pie was pretty good despite the crust issues. I've heard of combining rhubarb with strawberries, but the combo was even better with the peaches!

No comments: