Monday, January 24, 2011

cranberry-blueberry pie

I have a confession to make. When it comes to stocking up on seasonal foods, I tend to go overboard. And I'm not talking about just any seasonal food, I'm talking about fall foods: pumpkin and cranberries. There are currently 6 cans of pumpkin deep in the back of my baking cupboard. Every time Drew and I went grocery shopping last fall, I would buy another can of pumpkin, even if I had no immediate use for it. And even though he watched me add all these cans of pumpkin to our shopping cart, he has no idea that there are currently 6 cans in the cupboard. And that's not all. We have 3 bags of cubed pumpkin and 1 bag of pureed pumpkin in the freezer. And a bag of pureed pumpkin in the refrigerator, but that will soon become pumpkin & cranberry scones. I was more reasonable with stocking up on cranberries. We bought only 1 five pound bag, and there are about one and a half pounds remaining.

Last week I came across a recipe for Cranberry and Wild Blueberry Pie in Bon Appetit magazine. It could not have been better timed. I've been baking up more pies in the past couple of weeks, and I realized that I needed to do something with all those cranberries taking up space in the freezer.
This pie is gorgeous, and it tastes really good too. You cook the filling first, which does add an extra step, but it's worth it. The resulting pie then sets up quite nicely and isn't obnoxiously juicy and runny.

No comments: