Monday, January 17, 2011

pie is the new cupcake

Well, I think I've finally done it. I think I've finally made a pie crust that reminds me of my grandma's. I tried out a new crust recipe and a new pie recipe. The crust was a mix of shortening and butter, and the pie was coconut cream. The crust was a little overdone, but it tasted really good. So good that I couldn't resist eating the crust first, which is how I would eat my grandma's pie. I should also confess that I made crust in the food processor for the first time. It worked much better than using a pastry blender. I hope this doesn't make me less of a baker.

My pie crust breakthrough could not have come at a better moment. According to this article in the LA Times, pie just might be the new cupcake. Pie sales are up, and cake sales are down. Move over cupcake, there's a new fad in town. I'll be ready. My next pie? Pumpkin, made from REAL pumpkin.

No comments: