Tuesday, January 18, 2011

a january heat wave

I don't expect this post to generate any sympathy for me at all. I just checked the weather, and it is 78 degrees in Irvine, but I'm told that it feels like 79. It is 11 degrees in Rochester, but I'm told that it feels like 5 below. I don't know how this 67 degree difference in temperature is possible. It's like Irvine and Rochester aren't even in the same country.

I am wearing a skirt, short-sleeved shirt, and flip flops. I should be basking in the sun and chasing waves on the beach. I know that I should be enjoying the heat wave. But instead I'm going to complain. This isn't January weather. It's not winter weather. All I want is to live in a place where I have to wear more clothes in January. I want to live in a land with a real winter, with cold weather, none of this 70-some degrees in the middle of January shit. Oh, and 50 degrees isn't cold. Neither is 40 degrees, but I'd take it.

I'm not going to apologize for liking winter, cold weather, and snow. I miss all of it. A lot. And today, I'm going to call my parents and tell them about the nice weather out here. And then they'll tell me about the frigid temperatures there. And then we will be jealous of each other. It's the only way to get my cold fix these days, to live vicariously through them.

No comments: